MOTUS PRIVACY NOTICE
Effective: March 16, 2017
This Privacy Notice explains how Motus, LLC (“Motus” or “we”) collects, uses, shares, and handles information about Users of the Motus website, mobile app, and other services (collectively, “Motus Services”). For example, Users include mobile workers who use the Motus app to track mileage for reimbursement from their employers. By visiting Motus.com or using any Motus Service, Users accept the practices described in this Privacy Notice and consents to the collection, use and disclosure of information described herein.
Motus collects Users’ information on behalf of Users’ employers or other companies that engage the services of Users (collectively, “Motus Clients”). Users may be direct employees or independent contractors of Motus Clients. Users also may be direct employees or independent contractors of Motus Clients’ Permitted Affiliates, as defined in the Motus Master Services Agreement.
This Privacy Notice does not limit collection, use, sharing, or handling by Motus of aggregated, de-identified, or anonymized information, provided that the information cannot be associated with an individual.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Notice, e-mail Motus at firstname.lastname@example.org.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Motus collects User information from Users and Clients in order to administer and provide Motus Services to Motus Clients and Users and for the other purposes identified in this Privacy Notice. Information that may be collected includes:
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Date of birth
- Employer name
- Vehicle and car insurance information
- Bank account data
- Website log and user agent data such as Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, metadata, and the date and time that you accessed Motus Services
- Mobile device type and operating system information
- Precise location information (described below)
- Information collected via cookies and web beacons (described below),
- Miles driven
- Simple web page actions
- Any other information that Users or Clients choose to communicate to Motus (such as sending information to Motus via e-mail, app, or a Web form).
To deliver some services, such as mileage reimbursement, Motus may collect precise location information related to a User’s location and route. Motus will only collect precise location information if a User affirmatively opts in to such collection via both the mobile device operating system settings and the settings on the Motus Service. For instance, in order for a User to allow the Motus app to collect precise location information on the User’s iPhone, the User must take two steps. First, the User must allow Motus to access location information via the iPhone’s Privacy settings. Second, the User must enable location collection via the settings on the Motus app. Users may choose to enable a Motus Service to automatically collect geolocation information during specific timeframes each day. Users also could manually start and stop precise geolocation data collection via the “Start” and “Stop” buttons, or similar options, on the Motus service. Please note that the exact settings for precise location information collection vary by mobile operating system.
Motus Services are not directed to children under the age of 13. Motus does not knowingly collect or store personal information about children under the age of 13.
If a User would like to review or request changes to his or her information that is collected through a Motus Service (subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law), the User may email email@example.com.
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION
We use the User information that we collect to administer and provide our services to Motus Clients and Users. We may use User information for the following purposes:
- Maintaining, providing, repairing, personalizing, understanding, and improving Motus Services, including but not limited to mileage reimbursement, fleet management, mileage tracking, billing, insurance processing, and business intelligence;
- Processing transactions with Motus Clients and Users, such as billing and processing account information;
- Communicating with Users about Motus Services and affiliated third party services, via methods such as e-mail notifications;
- Responding to the inquiries of Motus Clients and Users;
- Complying with IRS (CRA in Canada) and employer mileage reimbursement guidelines; and
- For any other purpose to which you consent at the time that your information is collected.
If Motus collects User information on behalf of a Motus Client, it may share any of that User information with that Motus Client. For example, if Jane Doe uses the Motus app to track her car’s mileage for her employer, ABC Company, Motus may share any information that the Motus app collects about Jane Doe with ABC Company.
Additionally, under the following circumstances, Motus may provide third parties with the information that it has collected from a User, provided that the sharing is conducted for one of the following purposes:
- To obtain services from Motus third-party service providers. Examples of such third-party services include technical support, analytics, insurance quotes, insurance processing services, fuel prices, and motor vehicle record information.
- To comply with legal requirements and respond to lawful court orders and other valid legal process;
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of Motus or others, or to assist in the investigation of fraud or any other unlawful activity;
- As part of a merger, partial or complete acquisition, bankruptcy, asset sale, financing, consolidation, restructuring, liquidation, or similar corporate transaction. In the event of a corporate transaction that would result in the transfer of User information, Motus would inform Users via their most recent e-mail address on record with Motus and a prominent notice on the Motus.com website;
- To transfer any aggregate or anonymized information, provided that no individual could be identified by the information;
- Under any other circumstance to which the User consents after being notified.
COOKIES, WEB BEACONS, AND DO-NOT-TRACK
Web beacons are transparent graphic images placed in emails or web pages to record the simple actions of users. Web beacons collect only limited information, such as time and date of a page being viewed, and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides (the URL). Motus uses web beacons to support analytical programs like Google Analytics and New Relic (our SLA monitoring system).
As described in this Privacy Notice, other parties may collect Motus User personally identifiable information about an individual User’s online activities over time and across different Web sites when the User uses Motus services. Motus does not respond to Do-Not-Track signals.
This could be in the form of an advertisement on the Google search results page, or a website in the Google Display Network. You can visit the page Google Ad Preferences to opt-out of targeted advertising, and to set preferences for how Google advertises to you. You can also opt-out of targeted advertising entirely by modifying your browser settings or by using a browser plug-in.
We take reasonable security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of personal information within our custody or control. These include security measures for and internal reviews of our data collection, storage, and processing practices and the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software to encrypt certain sensitive User information such as bank account data. We also implement physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to User information to Motus employees, contractors, and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop, or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Motus processes User information only for the purposes for which it was collected and in accordance with this Privacy Notice. We review our data collection, storage, and processing practices to ensure that we only collect, store, and process the User information needed to administer, provide or improve our services or as otherwise permitted under this Privacy Notice. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the User information we process is accurate, complete, and current, but we depend on our Users to update or correct their information whenever necessary.
Motus is headquartered in the United States and, regardless of where you use our Services or otherwise provide information to us, your information may be transferred to, maintained, and processed by Motus and our service providers in the United States or other jurisdictions in which we or they operate. Please note that privacy laws, regulations, and standards in the jurisdictions in which your information may be maintained and processed may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence and such information may be subject to lawful access by U.S. or other foreign courts, law enforcement, and governmental authorities.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
The California Shine the Light Law requires companies to disclose certain information about information shared with third parties that is used for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Motus does not share Users’ personal information with third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Nonetheless, if you are a California resident, you may request information about the disclosure of your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or our privacy practices, please contact us at email@example.com or write to us at:
Two Financial Center
60 South Street, Boston, MA 02111